Hurlers Complete Mid-Cork Double   16/11/2015

Mid-Cork JBHC Final Match Report:

Uibh Laoire 2-12
Cloughduv 2-09

A week after the county final defeat of their footballers, the hurlers of Uibh Laoire were in action in the Mid Cork B final and gave a smashing display to take the title and banish any lingering feelings of 'the blues'. It was a difficult assignment for Cloughduv who had to line out within two days of their own major disappointment, the loss of the A county final replay to Dungourney. Victory therefore was something that both clubs badly wanted and the players on both sides gave their all and the outcome was in doubt to the final whistle.

Two points from Michael Deasy had Cloughduv off to a good start but Uibh Laoire hit back with points from David Dineen and Liam Kearney to draw level by the fifth minute. A minute later the western side hit the front with a fine goal from Colin Tanner and Darren Kelly then pointed a '65' to give his side a further boost. Ger Lynch immediately replied for Cloughduv with a point but Darren Kelly's point from a 16th minute free restored the four point advantage to Uibh Laoire. Cloughduv had a 19th minute goal disallowed and Uibh Laoire finished the half in style with three points from Darren Kelly, two from frees. Kevin BarryMurphy pointed a late free for Cloughduv to leave the half time score at 1-7 to 0-4 in favour of Uibh Laoire.

Cloughduv had a point from Ger Lynch on the restart, Barry O'Leary replied for Uibh Laoire. Seán Flanagan picked up a loose clearance to point for Cloughduv but Uibh Laoire struck a major blow in the 39th minute when Barry O'Leary parted inside to John O'Callaghan and the experienced centre forward blasted the sliotar to the net. The score was now 2-9 to 0-6 and Uibh Laoire were jubilant. Darren Kelly added a point from a free to open up a nine point gap but Cloughduv hit back tellingly in the 42nd minute when a rather needlessly conceded free allowed Donal Murphy to lash the ball to the net and bring Cloughduv back into contention. Darren Kelly pointed a free and Cathal Vaughan fired over a superb point from out on the wing for Uibh Laoire to leave the score at 2-11 to 1-6 at the three quarter stage. The final quarter saw a Cloughduv revival which just failed. Seán Flanagan fired over a great point and Kevin Barry Murphy pointed a free in the 52nd minute to leave his side six points adrift. A minute later a Kevin BarryMurphy shot from a very tight angle was blocked but not held and the ball finished in the Uibh Laoire net to leave only three point now between the sides with seven minutes remaining. The momentum was with Cloughduv but an injury to John Deasy (accidental collision with one of his teammates) raised fears of a serious neck problem and play was delayed for twenty minutes while the Cloughduv man was attended to on the field by a doctor before being taken by ambulance to hospital.

When play resumed there were six minutes remaining, Uibh Laoire had steeled themselves for the expected Cloughduv onslaught and were determined not to yield any further ground. Ger Lynch did manage a point for Cloughduv but Uibh Laoire were safe when Darren Kelly pointed a late free to leave a three point margin between the teams.

The good news later was that the injury to the Cloughduv player was not as serious as feared and happily he was back home that evening

Uibh Laoire: Con O'Callaghan: Ciarán O'Riordan, Daniel O'Riordan, John McNulty: Gerard O'Riordan, Finbarr McSweeney Jnr., James M O'Leary: Finbarr McSweeney, Darren Kelly: Liam Kearney, John F. O'Callaghan, Barry O'Leary: David Dineen, Cathal Vaughan, Colin Tanner. 

Subs Used: Ger McSweeney and Barry Murphy.

Scorers: Darren Kelly 0-08, John F. O'Callaghan & Colin Tanner 1-00 each, David Dineen, Liam Kearney, Barry O'Leary & Cathal Vaughan 0-01 each. 

*Report Courtesy of Lee Valley Outlook*

Upcoming Events

Club Shop