fb twitter yt

Munster GAA Junior Football Final 2014 Kerry 3-14 Cork 0-13 2014-07-02 23:44:00

Munster GAA Junior Football Final 2014
Kerry 3-14 Cork 0-13

Kerry cruised to a ten points victory over Cork in the Munster Junior football final at Austin Stack Park on Wednesday evening before an attendance of 1,336 who saw some fine attacking football throughout, especially from the winners. Kerry were well worth their 10 points winning margin and took the game to their opponents from the start, and were it not for a tendency to overplay the ball at stages, especially in the opening half, they may even have been more comfortable winners.

The home-side got the perfect start when Thomas Hickey’s inviting pass opened up a run at goal for Brian Crowley who made no mistake after just 30 seconds of play. Kerry should have got another major straight from the kick out with Philip O’Connor just failing to connect but Thomas Hickey, who was to trouble the Cork defence throughout that opening half, pointed soon after and Gavan O’Grady, another man to shine, made it 1-2 to no score after just 6 minutes. Conor Flanagan opened Cork’s account from a free, but with Andrew Garnett in fine form in the centre of the field, the Kerry forwards enjoyed an abundance of possession and they went on to lead by 1-4 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter. Cork did improve as the game wore on, with Anthony O’Connor and Seamus Hickey in the corners impressing up front but poor shooting was to cost them while at the other end Thomas Hickey had his fourth point by the 22nd minute and Kerry led by 1-6 to 0-3. Gavan O’Grady then set up Thomas Hickey for a well worked goal in the 27th minute and further points from Brian Crowley and O’Grady saw Kerry lead by 2-8 to 0-5 at the interval.

The sides swapped points on three occasions on the restart with O’Grady, Crowley and sub Sean Moloney adding to Kerry’s total, and Paul Condon converting two frees for Cork but Kerry then seemed to take their foot off the pedal and with Cork coming more into the game in the middle third of the field they had three unanswered points, including a fine long range effort from the ground by Mark Sugrue, and the margin was now down to 6 points, 2-11 to 0-11 at the three quarter stage. The Kerry sideline acted however, introducing some fresh blood and Edmund Walsh in particular fared well and the net result was that Kerry regained their composure with three fine scores, two from O’Grady and another form Sean Moloney. Kerry sealed victory when Gavan O’Grady was pulled down in the square and he dusted himself down and despatched the resultant penalty to the net for Kerry’s final score four minutes from time.
After the game, Chairman of the Munster Council, Robert Frost, presented the Munster Junior Cup to Thomas Hickey. It was Kerry’s 41st title in the grade.

Kerry; Gavan O’Grady 1-6 (1-2fr), Thomas Hickey 1-4, Brian Crowley 1-2, Sean Moloney 0-2.
Cork: Paul Condon 0-5 (3fr), Seamus Hickey, Anthony O’Connor Conor Flanagan (2 Fr), Mark Sugrue (2Fr) 0-2 each.
Subs: Kerry; Sean Moloney for Kevin O’Dwyer (Inj), Michael Brennan for Andrew Garnett, Edmund Walsh for Danny Wrenn, Alan O’Donoghue for Paul Kennelly, Gary Sayers for Brian Crowley, and Kieran Hurley for Brendan O’Sullivan.
Subs: Cork; Sean Murphy for Jeffrey Daly, Cillian Brosnan for James Kind, Kevin Sheehan for John Dineen, Rory Buckley for Sean Murphy