fb twitter yt

SENIOR FOOTBALL COUNTY FOOTBALL LEAGUE Div 5 Round 1 2014-03-23 11:40:00

Duagh 0-7 St. Senans 1-7 

The game was played in ideal conditions, dry but slightly blustery. Duagh at home were first to score and went 3 points to nil up in ten minutes, with 2 points from play and one from a free. St. Senans then scored 2 points from frees, and by 20 minutes, Duagh were 3-2 up and playing the better, but St. Senans had several missed chances. On the 23rd minute, J. Carmody had a pointed free for Duagh, but St. Senans responded with 2 points from play in 25th and 30th
minute to leave half time score 4 points all.

In the 8th and 18th minute of the second half, St. Senans went 2 points up with 2 frees, and were on top at this time. Two points followed for Duagh, on 20th minute from play, and 27th from a free. St. Senans responded with a pointed free on 24th minute and, by the 28th minute, were a point in front, when a 45 metre free from Sean O Connell found its way to the Duagh net. Kieran Quirke pointed for Duagh on 30th minute, but time ran out for Duagh and
St. Senans collected the County League points on offer. 

Teams and scorers:
Duagh: D Scanlon, E Kelly, T O Sullivan, D Foley, K Quirke 0-1, A O Connor, P Sheeran, , J Sheeran, M O Connor 0-1, T Scanlon, D O Donoghue 0-2, K Lucey 0-1, E Stack, J Carmody 0-2, T Quirke.
St. Senans: E O Connell, T. Barry, S Dowling, B Quinlan, R Nolan, B O’Connell, L Lynch, D Somers, J Browne, D Foran, S O Connell 1-0, C O Keeffe, M Keane, D Kennelly 0-2, P Quill 0-5.

Ballydonoghue (1-8) Asdee (1-8)

As the score suggests, there was little between the sides, with Asdee shading it in the first half and Ballydonoghue just about getting the better of the exchanges in the second. 
Asdee opened with points from Eoin Kennedy and Darren Russell, before Paul Kennelly for Ballydonoghue struck for the opening goal. Ballydonoghue began to settle into the game, but before they had time to take advantage, Asdee's Eoin Kennedy, who was causing Ballydonoghue all sorts of problems, slotted to the net from a very tight angle. Paul Kennelly and Eoin Kennedy exchanged a point apiece before the break. 

Half-time score Ballydonoghue 1-1 Asdee 1-3 

Ballydonoghue got off to a flying start in the second half and P. Kennelly kicked 3pts without reply in the first 10 mins to go 1pt ahead. Eoin Kennedy had the sides level two mins. later. P. Kennelly and E. Kennedy then kicked two points apiece, before Paul Kennelly put Ballydonoghue ahead again as we approached injury time. As the game hung in the balance, Ballydonoghue were awarded a sideline ball about 30 meters out from their own goal. As the
ball was kicked back to the keeper, the referee deemed that the kick had been taken from inside the line and awarded a hop ball that broke free, and as a player from both sides tussled to gain possession, the referee awarded a free to Asdee. Eoin Kennedy stepped up and from an acute angle just slotted the ball inside the near post to bring the sides level as the referee blew full-time.

Ballydonoghue: Dara O'Shea, Dean Dowling, Bill Foley, Darren Gogarty, Diarmuid Behan , Thomas Kennelly, Jack Gogarty, Wayne Dowling, Martin O'Mahony, Eddie Sheehy, Jim Cremin, Paul Kennelly, David O'Connor, Dan Riordan, Damien O'Carroll. 

Asdee: Conor Coughlan, Eoin O Carroll, Martin Collins, Tom Mulvhill, Noel Long, Sean Keane, Con Carmody, Padraig Ruddle, John Doran, Michael Tydings, Darren Russell, Michael Walsh, Mike Breen, Eoin Tydings, Charles Dalton.

Dr. Crokes ‘ B’ 1-12 Valentia 1-11

Dr. Crokes ‘B ‘ team got off to a winning start in Division 5, but had to survive a terrific battle against Valentia to secure their first points. This was a great game between two evenly matched sides all through. An excellent Chris Brady had 0-5 on the trot for Crokes in the opening quarter, but Valentia stayed in touch, with corresponding scores from Mark Lynch, Paul O'Sullivan, Paul O'Connor (2f), and man of the match midfielder Brendan O'Sullivan.
Keith O'Leary and Tony Brosnan nudged Crokes ahead, despite a Mark Lynch point. Valentia dominated the end of the first half with two more points from O'Connor and a cracking goal from Brendan O'Sullivan to lead by 1-8 to 0-7.

Keith O'Leary, Brendan Falvey, and Gavin O'Shea (2) trimmed the gap, but points from Mark Lynch and Brendan O'Sullivan maintained a 1-11 to 0-11 lead. Tony Brosnan pulled one back and the turning point came when the same player was fouled in the square, after a great run by Keith O'Leary. Chris Brady goaled with a superb penalty and, though Valentia created several chances, most notably when a John Shanahan special came back off the
crossbar, the Islanders just couldn't quite close that gap.

Dr. Crokes: Conor O'Loughlin, Sean Coppinger, PJ Lawlor, Eric O'Connor, Jason Lyne, Mark Egan, Gavin Tucker, Brendan Falvey (0-1), Conor O'Neill, Cian O'Neill, Gavin O'Shea (0-2), Bryan O'Shea, Tony Brosnan (0-2), Chris Brady (1-5, 1 pen, 3f), Keith O'Leary (0-2). Subs: Laurence Byrnes (for Cian O'Neill), Gordon Buckley (for Eric O'Connor), Daniel Healy (for Tony Brosnan)

Valentia: Brian O'Connor, Shane O'Connor, John Daly, John Lynch, Aaron Quigley, Junior Murphy, Paul O'Sullivan (0-2), Brendan O'Sullivan (1-2), Ger O'Shea, Mark Lynch (0-3, 1f, 1'45), John Curran, Ciaran O'Donoghue, Senan Lynch, Paul O'Connor (0-4, 3f), Andrew Quigley. Sub John Shanahan (for Senan

Laune Rangers 'B' 0-9 , Kilgarvan 1-13

Laune Rangers "B" took on Kilgarvan on Sunday in the opening day of County League Division 5. On a sunny afternoon in Killorglin, the first half was a very even contest. The first chance didn't come until 5 minutes into the game, when Rangers goalkeeper Vinnie Costello pulled off a point blank save from Kilgarvan's Patrick O'Shea, but the ball rolled out for a 45. That 45 was taken quickly with a short pass to O'Shea who slotted the ball over the bar for the opening point. Jack O'Connor levelled up matters for Rangers, before O'Shea pointed with a free and Timmy Healy doubled the advantage to put Kilgarvan 0-3 to 0-1 ahead after 15 minutes. Jack O'Connor then pointed with a free of his own, before he levelled the game with one from play.
Points were exchanged between Conor Shorthall (Kilgarvan) and Eamon Carey
(Rangers) to make the score 0-4 each at half time.

The second half was very much dominated by the visitors. Patrick O'Shea scored 4 points for Kilgarvan, while Eamon Carey scored two of his own for Rangers to put the score at 0-8 to 0-6 in favour of the visitors, with 15 minutes to play. Kilgarvan then transferred their dominance of the game on to the scoreboard, with a goal from substitute Florence O'Sullivan, and
Shorthall added a point shortly afterwards. Jack O'Connor pointed for Rangers to leave them trailing 1-9 to 0-7 with 12 minutes to play, but O'Shea quickly cancelled it out with another point. Carey & O'Connor added their 4th and 5th points of the day respectively for Rangers, but the visitors then drove home their dominance with 3 final points - Patrick O'Shea,
Kieran O'Sullivan, and John Mark Foley adding to the tally to make the final score Laune Rangers 0-9, Kilgarvan 1-13.

Laune Rangers: 1 Vinnie Costello, 2 Daire Clifford, 3 Ger O'Sullivan, 4
Cormac Johnston, 5 Tadgh Curran, 6 Eoin O'Sullivan, 7 Seamus O'Sullivan, 8
Jack O'Connor (0-5), 9 James Flynn, 10 Colm O'Mahony, 11 Colin Dwyer, 12
Darren Riordan, 13 Gary Flynn, 14 Eamon Carey (0-4), 15 John Lodder. Subs:
Aidan Lynch, Aidan Cox, Pa Sheehan, David Costello.

Kilgarvan: 1 Flor O'Brien, 2 Derry O'Sullivan, 3 Patrick O'Sullivan, 4 David
O'Connor, 5 John Mark Foley (0-1), 6 Jeremiah Kelliher, 8 Pa Cremin, 9
Connie Cremin (0-1), 10 Timmy Healy (0-1), 11 Kevin O'Connor, 12 Sean
Godfrey, 13 Patrick O'Shea (0-8), 14 Donal O'Sullivan, 15 Conor Shorthall
(0-2). Subs: Florence O'Sullivan (1-0), Shane Randles, Martin Godfrey,
Shane O'Sullivan.

Sneem/Derrynane 0-12 Moyvane 0-9

Derrynane was resplendent in Spring sunshine on Sunday last for this first round meeting of the hosts Sneem/Derrynane and Moyvane in the County Football League. Sneem/Derrynane would be hoping to go one step better than last year, when they were beaten in the final round of games, narrowly missing out on promotion. Likewise, Moyvane were hoping to bounce straight back up after relegation from Div 4. 

This was an entertaining game, with the home side proving slightly the better team and taking the 2 points on offer. Moyvane started the better and were 3 points to 1 in front after 10 minutes, including a cracking effort from Paddy Curtin. Sneem’s point came from the boot of Morgan O' Donoghue from a free. The home team took over from this point and outscored their opponents by 4 points to no score to the half time break. Morgan O' Donoghue, scored 2 more, and the industrious Ian Galvin had a brace also. This left the score at 5 points to 3 in favour of the home side at the short whistle.

Moyvane came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, but resolute defending from David Drummond, the McGillicuddy brothers and, in particular, Adrian O' Sullivan, kept the home side in front. Sneem/ Derrynane edged 3 points in front, through the boot of Morgan O' Donoghue, but Moyvane narrowed the gap to 1 after ten minutes of the second half. Michael O' Connor, who was having a fine game in the middle of the field, kicked 2 points and
centre back David Drummond added another, to ease the home side 4 clear with 15 minutes remaining. Moyvane came again and reduced the deficit to 2, but Ian Galvin added 2 points to edge 4 ahead again. Moyvane refused to buckle and reduced the margin to 2 with time running out. They laid siege on the home goal, but some resolute defending kept them out. Ian Galvin added the insurance point with the last kick of the game from a free from 35 yards out. Final score Sneem/Derrynane 0-12 Moyvane 0-9