fb twitter yt

Acorn Life Under 21 Championship Semi Finals 2014-07-30 11:05:00

St Kieran's and Kenmare District have qualified for the Acorn Life Under 21 Championship Final following contrasting victories over South Kerry and Shannon Rangers respectively on Wednesday evening. 
The Final is played tonight Wednesday 13th August at 7pm in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney. The Sponsors Acorn Life will present a man of the match at the final.

Kenmare District 2-11 South Kerry 1-11
Kenmare fully deserved this 3 points victory over a fancied South Kerry side in Fitzgerald Stadium. Superbly led by Brian Crowley at centre forward, they showed some great team-work throughout the game and never panicked after a rather nervous start. Gavin Crowley was a tower of strength in the centre of the defence for them and Cian Hallissey worked hard throughout and it was his second goal, scored at the three quarter stage, that really gave them the confidence to push on for victory.
Scores were slow in coming early on but Brian Crowley had two for the winners either side of points by Ciaran Keating and Conor O’Shea for South Kerry and the sides were on level terms after 13 minutes. Crowley and O’Shea, who was causing a lot of trouble for the Kenmare defence, swapped points again, but as the half wore on, Kenmare began to come more into the game, so much so that they led at the break by 6 points to 5 with Gavin Crowley’s point from 50 yards being particularly noteworthy.
South Kerry were dealt a blow when both centre Back Ronan O’Shea and corner back Dara Scanlon had to retire injured just on the half time whistle and on the resumption, Brian Crowley put over a beauty from 45 yards. Ciaran Keating, who was dangerous throughout responded with a long distance free before Brian Crowley and Kevin O’Sullivan combined in a fine move to set up Cian Hallissey for Kenmare’s first goal in the 33rd minute. Keating replied once again from near the sideline before he sent a powerful shot to the net in the 36th minute to tie the scores once again. Five minutes later Crowley, O’Sullivan and Hallissey combined once more for the latter to cooly finish to the net and when Crowley pointed a free, Kenmare were 4 clear at the three quarter stage. The sides swapped points twice between there and the end with Conor O’Shea and Ciaran Keating ever dangerous for South Kerry and the likes of Cian Hallissey, the Crowleys and Denis O’Neill really standing out for Kenmare.
Kenmare: Cian Hallissey 2-2 (0-2Fr), Brian Crowley 0-5 (2Fr), Denis O’Neill 0-2, Kevin O’Sullivan (Fr) and Gavin Crowley 0-1 each.
South Kerry: Ciaran Keating 1-4 (0-2fr), Conor O’Shea 0-4, Darragh O’Sullivan, Denis Daly, and Dylan O’Donoghue 0-1 each.

St Kierans 5-17 Shannon Rangers 3-5

Last year’s beaten finalists cruised to a facile victory over a disappointing Shannon Rangers side who had to line out without the injured Padraig Boyle in Austin Stack Park. The North Kerry side had first use of the wind but just four minutes in, Ger O’Sullivan stroked a penalty off the crossbar. The sides were evenly matched throughout the first half and Kierans were just edging it, 5 points to 4 when a good move involving a number of players ended with Eoin Murphy hitting the net to give Kierans a 1-5 to 0-4 interval lead.
The winners hit three unanswered points within as many minutes of the resumption and goals from Gearoid McCarthy and Thomas Hickey followed as St Kierans led by 3-11 to 1-5 at the three quarter stage with Ger O’Sullivan converting his second penalty attempt for Shannon Rangers. It was all one way traffic after that and further goals from Thomas Hickey and Mike Flynn and a string of points saw St Kierans into the final with plenty to spare.
St Kierans: 
Thomas Hickey 2-4, Eoin Murphy and Gearoid McCarthy 1-2 each, Mike Flynn 1-0, Patrick O'Keeffe, Adam Barry and Shane O'Connor 0-2 each, Cian O'Connor and Michael Walsh 0-1 each. 
Shannon Rangers: 
Ger O'Sullivan 1-4, Kevin Bowler and Gearoid Kissane 1-0 each, Andy O'Connell 0-1.