fb twitter yt

Keanes SuperValu Killorglin Minor Football Championship Semi Fin 2014-08-28 09:52:00

An Ghaeltacht 1-8 v Daingean Uí Chúis 1-11
by Breandán Fitzgerald , West Kerry PRO

Dingle proved too strong for An Ghaeltacht in this County Minor Championship Semi Final played in Lispole. The weather played its part with rain and a strong wind making it difficult for both teams. An Ghaeltacht playing with the wind in the first half led from a Séamus Ó Muircheartaigh free after 5 minutes, Seán Ó Gairbhí added another from play shortly after. 

Cathal Bambury scored Dingles first from a free after Conor Geaney put Barry O’Sullivan through before he was fouled. Séamus Ó Muircheartaigh increased An Ghaeltachts lead with two more fine free kicks before Conor Geaney converted a free for Dingle. An Ghaeltacht’s Seán Ó Gairbhí kicked another pointed free to make the half time score An Ghaeltacht 0-5 to Dingle 0-2.

Dingle started the second half well and both Conor Geaney and Cathal Bambury converted from placed balls to narrow the gap to one point. An Ghaeltacht responded through a Séamus Ó Muircheartaigh pointed free. An Ghaeltacht scored a goal after midfielder Brian Ó Murchú, operating at full forward, slotted home after good work by Tomás Ó Sé. With 15 mins gone of the second half An Ghaeltacht 1-6 to Dingle 0-4. 
Conor Geaney kicked a point for Dingle after being put through by Matthew Flaherty. Geaney from a free and Bambury from a free and from play narrowed the gap, and Dingle substitute Liam Brosnan levelled the game with his first kick of the match. An Ghaeltacht went ahead with 5 minutes left to go after a great effort by centre back Cian Ó Murchú. 
Dingle responded and levelled the game once more through a great effort by Conor Geaney from a free. Shortly after Mark Ashe put Tomás Sheehy through on goal and he made no mistake when he slotted home. An Ghaeltacht responded and Seán Ó Bambaire converted a free but Dingle won the resulting kick out and Tom O’Sullivan kicked a point from play. When referee James O’Sullivan blew the final whistle the score board read An Ghaeltacht 1-8 to Dingle 1-11
The Keanes Supervalu Killorglin Man of Match trophy was presented to Mark O'Connor by Christy Kileen from Kerry County Committe. 
Daingean Uí Chúis: Luke Wallace, Mikey Boyle, Conor O’Sullivan, Tom Leo O’Sullivan, Aidan O’Connor, Matthew Flaherty, Patrick Sheehy, Barry O’Sullivan, Mark O’Connor, Garret Hickey Brosnan, Tom O’Sullivan (0-1), Mark Ashe, Conor Geaney (0-5, 4fr), Cathal Bambury (0-4, 3fr), Tomás Sheehy (1-0) Subs: Liam Brosnan (0-1)

An Ghaeltacht: Shane Ó Gairbhí, Cathal Ó Gairbhia, Brian Ó Beaglaoich, Fiach Ó Loingsigh, Tomás Breathnach, Cian Ó Murchú (0-1), PJ Mac Láimh, Rob Ó Sé (C), Brian Ó Murchú (1-0), Séamus Ó Muircheartaigh (0-4, 3fr), Seán Ó Gairbhí (0-2), Máirtín Ó Gormáin, Áindle Mac Gearailt, Tomás Ó Sé, Seán Ó Bambaire (0-1, 1fr)

Dr Crokes 2-10 East Kerry 1-8
Dr Crokes deservedly advanced to The Minor Football Championship Final following victory over defending champions East Kerry at a wet and windy Spa on Thursday evening. The winners played a more direct style of football in the difficult conditions and while in essence this was a team performance by the men in black and amber, there was no denying the influence of their two Minor County players. Michéal Burns, afterwards named the Keanes Supervalu Man of the Match, though closely marshalled by Donal Lyne, was pulling a lot of strings in the centre of the attack and finished with 5 pointed frees, while inside him Jordan Kiely, working off limited possession, was always threatening. East Kerry were a disappointment on the night and while they might point to the fact that a lucky break allowed Crokes in for a soft goal and that they had their share of bad luck before the winners finished the game off near the end, the losers had only themselves to blame when overdoing the passing game.
The crossfield wind favoured Crokes in the opening half and the sides swapped points with Lee O’Donoghue and Donal Lyne pointing for East Kerry and Jordan Kiely replying twice for the winners. Then disaster struck for East Kerry when Conor McCarthy’s attempt at a short kickout went wrong and in stepped Billy Courtney to capitalise from close range in the 12th minute. East Kerry, who had big Shane Ryan manning the edge of the square, fought back with three points without reply from Ryan, Lee O’Donoghue and David Clifford and the Crokes goal had a let-off when Daniel O’Brien was just wide with a fine effort for a goal. Chris Doncell and Paudie Clifford swapped points but Crokes finished with two points, from Paul Clarke and Michéal Burns (free) to leave the town side 1-5 to 0-6 ahead at the break. 
Dr Crokes restarted in fine style with three points inside the opening five minutes courtesy of Michéal Burns, Jordan Kiely and a mighty effort from a sideline free by Burns again to open up a five points gap, 1-8 to 0-6. Shane Ryan had a good point in reply but as East Kerry conceded frees Burns pointed twice in quick succession to leave Crokes 1-10 to 0-7 ahead. While the scoring dried up, there was drama aplenty for the remainder of the game. Paudie Clifford hit the Crokes crossbar in what was a big let off for the winners and while East Kerry had more of the play, they only had a Shane Ryan pointed free to show for it. The drama then switched to the other end and when Shane Lyne was hauled down, Kerry keeper Ryan went between the posts and made a great save from the resultant penalty struck by his Kerry colleague Burns at the three quarter stage. Conor Culloty was then first to react when Paudie Clifford’s shot was well saved by Johnny O’Leary in the Crokes goal, and suddenly there was only two points between them. However, Shane Ryan’s scoring touch deserted him as he was off target with three efforts for points and as time ran out, Jordan Kiely availed of another defensive lapse to collect and race through on his own to fire past Conor McCarthy with two minutes remaining to seal the issue in favour of Dr Crokes.éal Burns by Peter Keane from Keanes SuperValu Killorglin 
The Keanes SuperValu, Killorglin man of the match was presented to Michéal Burns by Peter Keane.

Dr Crokes: Johnny O’Leary, Creagh Courtney, Aaron Murphy, Jack Lenihan, David Naughton, Gavin White, Shane Lyne, Cillian O’Regan, Jason O’Sullivan, Paul Clarke (0-1), Micheál Burns (0-5 Frees), Darren Doherty, Jordan Kiely (1-3, 1Fr), Billy Courtney (1-0), Chris Doncell (0-1). Subs used: Adam O’Shea and David Shaw.
East Kerry: Conor McCarthy (Legion), Shane Courtney (Glenflesk), D.J. Murphy (Gneeveguilla), Darren Brosnan (Gneeveguilla), Rob Leane (Legion), Daniel O'Brien (Glenflesk), Josh Flynn (Firies), James O'Donoghue (Firies), Shane Ryan (0-3, 2Fr, Rathmore), Lee O'Donoghue (0-3, Glenflesk), Paudie Clifford (0-2, 1Fr, Fossa), Padraig De Brún (Firies), Ronan Buckley (Listry), David Clifford (Fossa), Donal Lyne (0-1 Legion). 
Subs used: Conor Culloty (1-0, Legion), William Courtney (Firies), Peter McCarthy (Legion), Dara Doherty (Legion).