fb twitter yt

Mixed Fortunes for Kerry Clubs in All Ireland Semi Finals 2017-01-30 20:55:00

Mixed Fortunes for Kerry Clubs in All Ireland Semi Finals

It was a day of mixed fortunes for Kerry Clubs in the All Ireland Club Semi Finals; Glenbeigh-Glencar are through to the All Ireland Final on February 19th following victory over Louisburgh but there was heartbreak for Kenmare as they went down to Westport in the Intermediate semi final.

Kenmare lose out after Extra-Time

Kenmare, who lined out without the injured Stephen O’Brien, are out of the All Ireland Club Championship following an agonising defeat at the hands of the Lee Keegan inspired Westport at Ennis this afternoon. It took extra time to decide this semi final as neither side could take advantage of the numerous scoring chances that came their way and indeed the Kerry side were not headed until two minutes from time in that final half of extra time.

Kenmare got the perfect start and were 4 points to no score ahead inside the opening 14 minutes of play with Paul O’Connor from play and a free accounting for two of those scores. Westport had two quick points but were guilty of missing a few good scoring chances and when O’Connor had his third, Kenmare were 5 to 4 ahead at the break.

O’Connor extended that lead on the resumption but Westport were soon on level terms but two further points from play and free by O’Connor and another from Sean O’Leary had the Kerry side 9 to 6 clear by the 51st minute. Kenmare had a couple of let-offs before Shane Scott equalised from the penalty spot four minutes from time and despite enjoying an abundance of possession, Kenmare could not engineer the winning score – 0-9 to 1-6 it finished in normal time.

Dara O’Shea and O’Connor with his 7th point had Kenmare 0-11 to 1-7 ahead at the break in extra time but Westport were level four minutes into the final half. Stephen O’Brien did make a very late appearance but Westport finished with those late late points to clinch a final place against St Colmcilles of East Meath. 1-10 to 0-11 it finished.

Glenbeigh-Glencar in first Final

In the end, Glenbeigh-Glencar had little difficulty in qualifying for their first All Ireland Junior Club Final but it certainly did not look that way in the opening minutes of play as Louisburgh broke from the traps and had seven points on the board in as many minutes against a shell-shocked Kerry outfit. It looked ominous for the winners at that stage but gradually they got control and after Darran O’Sullivan opened the scoring for them they settled down but they were still 8 point to 2 down when Kieran Courtney crashed to the net in the 18th minute. Points by Caolim Teahan and Courtney had the sides on level terms by the 20th minute. Glenbeigh-Glencar were now in charge  and Gavan O’Grady waltzed his way through for a goal in the 24th minute and three further points had them 2-8 to 0-10 ahead at the break.

Cahill and O’Grady pointed on the resumption and then Darran O’Sullivan gathered about 40 yards out and soloed through for a great individual goal to put his side 8 points clear. Kieran Courtney had his second in the 47th minute and three further points saw Glenbeigh-Glencar safely though on a 4-14 to 0-13 scoreline. The winners will play Rock St Patricks of Tyrone in the final on February 19th.

Lispole win Munster Junior B Title

Lispole kept up the great Kerry tradition in the competition when winning the Munster Junior B Club Championship hosted by the Knockaderry Club at the expense of Ballyhooly of North Cork in South Limerick yesterday on a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-4. Lispole led by 8 points to 3 at the break and then a rather fortuitous goal from a long distance free by Declan O’Sullivan followed by a point by Aaron Moriarty had the winners leading by 1-10 to 0-3 10 minutes into the second half and they never looked back after that to record an emphatic victory.