fb twitter yt

It's an all Kenmare District in Intermediate Final 2016-09-25 19:26:00

It’s an all Kenmare District Castleisland Mart Intermediate Championship final following semi final victories by Kenmare and Templenoe in the semi finals at Fitzgerald Stadium this afternoon.

Kenmare 2-13 Castleisland Desmonds 1-9
After a shaky start, Kenmare recovered to graft out a deserved seven points victory over Desmonds in the opening game at Fitzgerald Stadium. Desmonds got by far the better start and led by 4 points to 1 inside the first eleven minutes following good points from Stan Devane, Brian Leonard, Tomás Lynch and Kieran Brennan. Gradually however, Kenmare came more into the game against a very defensively minded Desmonds side and quick points from the O’Sheas, Patrick and Sean, and Sean O’Leary to level the game were followed by the opening goal of the game when Patrick O’Shea, Paul O’Connor and David Hallissey combined for the latter to find the net after a very tight passing movement. Paul O’Connor tacked on 4 points, all from frees, and Kenmare led by 1-8 to 0-4 approaching the break. Stephen Bartlett, with Desmonds’ first score in nineteen minutes, and Cian O’Connor pointed for Desmonds to leave their side five points adrift at the break, 1-8 to 0-6.

The sides swapped 2 points apiece on the change of ends but then Kenmare struck for their second goal when Sean O’Shea and Paul O’Connor combined to put Kevin O’Sullivan through for a well taken goal in the 41st minute. A quick free at the other end saw Kieran Brennan palm to the net at the three quarter stage but further points from Paul O’Connor and Fionán O’Sullivan saw Kenmare safely through to the final.

Kenmare: Paul O’Connor 0-5 (4 Fr), Kevin O’Sullivan and David Hallissey 1-0 each, Sean O’Leary and Sean O’Shea 0-2 each, Stephen O’Brien, Patrick O’Shea, Mark Crowley and Fionán O’Sullivan 0-1 each.

Castleisland Desmonds: Kieran Brennan 1-2, Stan Devane and Cian O’Connor (1fr) 0-2 each, Brian Leonard, Steven Bartlett (fr) and Thomas Hickey (fr) 0-1 each.
Referee: Padraig O’Sullivan (Firies).

Templenoe 2-7 An Ghaeltacht 0-11

With a minute of normal time to go in this second game at Fitzgerald Stadium, it looked as if extra time would be needed to separate two evenly match sides as An Ghaeltacht, with wind and momentum on their side, had fought back from a four point deficit to level the game and time quickly running out. However Templenoe summoned up a late rally and despite missing some gilt edged chances they persevered and were rewarded with a pointed free from Killian Spillane and an insurance score from John Spillane in the 61st minute. However, An Ghaeltacht had a glorious chance to snatch the game out of the fire when in a last gasp attack they had men over on all sides but Padraig Ó Sé’s daisy cutter went just the wrong side of the post.

Similar to the first game, the losers had started in impressive style with Seán M. Ó Conchúir kicking three points (1 free) before Teddy Doyle opened Templenoe’s account in the 15th minute. Four minutes later, Denis O’Neill had a spectacular goal for Templenoe after a move started by Tadhg Morley and when Patrick Clifford and Killian Spillane added points, the winners were three to the good. Cathal Mac Gearailt and Eánna Ó Conchúir cut the deficit to a point but then An Ghaeltacht coughed up possession around 45 yards out and Pat Spillane was inside on his own to make ground and send a spectacular shot past Tomás Mac an tSaoir in the 26th minute. An Ghaeltacht wasted three scoring chances before Seamus Ó Muirceartaigh pointed but Adrian Spillane had the last say to leave Templenoe 2-4 to 0-6 ahead at the break.
Eánna Ó Conchúir and Sean Sheehan swapped points on the restart and Ghaeltacht’s gradual recovery was halted by three early wides but points from Sean M Ó Conchúir, Padraig Óigí Ó Sé and Gearóid Mac an tSaoir left the game delicately balanced with just a point between the sides at the three quarter stage.

Patrick Clifford and Killian Spillane passed up good chances following sporadic raids at the other end before Ó Conchúir finally levelled the game with six minutes remaining. At this stage the momentum was certainly with An Ghaeltacht but Templenoe, aided by some a fine contribution from sub Josh Holland, summoned up a grandstand finish for those two vital scores before the final drama unfolded.

Templenoe: Pat Spillane and Denis O’Neill 1-0 each, Killian Spillane 0-2, Teddy Doyle (Fr), Patrick Clifford, Sean Sheehan, Adrian Spillane and John Spillane 0-1 each.

An Ghaeltacht: Sean M. Ó Conchúir 0-5 (4Fr), Eanna Ó Conchúir 0-2, Gearóid Mac an tSaoir, Seamus Ó Fiannachta (Fr), Padraig Óigí Ó Sé, and Cathal MacGearailt 0-1 each.

Referee: James O’Sullivan Firies).