fb twitter yt

Garvey's SuperValu Senior Hurling Championship Round 2 Reports 2016-07-10 20:04:00

2016 Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship
St Brendans and Abbedorney have advanced to the semi finals of the Garveys Supervalu senior hurling championship following Round 2 victories over Causeway and champions Kilmoyley respectively this weekend. Meanwhile, Causeway and Kilmoyley go through to the quarter finals where they join Ballyduff and Lixnaw who defeated Ballyheigue and Crotta respectively in the Round 2 losers group.

The Quarter final pairings will see Causeway play Ballyduff and Kilmoyley play Lixnaw on the weekend of July 24th for semi final places.

Round 2A
Abbeydorney 0-20 Kilmoyley 0-16 (AET)

Abbeydorney created the major upset of the hurling championship to date with this 4 points extra time victory over reigning champions Kilmoyley in the second part of the Sunday double header at Austin Stack Park. Despite the fact that there were a total of 34 wides in this game there was plenty to admire in this contest. Abbeydorney in particular will be pleased with the fact that they scored 16 points from play from nine different scorers.

Abbeydorney played with the breeze in the first half and led at the interval by 0-7 to 0-4. Aidan Healy rounded off the scoring with a peach of point. Kilmoyley lost their main scoring threat Daniel Collins in the first half to a hamstring injury but they managed to overcome his absence thanks in the main to the play of James Godley and Tom Murnane in the second half. Godley scored two long range points from play while Murnane was also on target from placed balls and play. Kilmoyley led by 0-10 to 0-8 after 50 minutes and looked odds on to take victory but Abbeydorney showed great fight to level things once more with three scores from the influential Michael O’Leary. Kilmoyley took the lead once more with a pointed Tom Murnane free on the stroke of full time but Abbeydorney refused to yield and it was substitute David Egan who fired over the equaliser deep into injury time.

Abbeydorney played with the breeze once more in the first half of extra time and scored 5 points from play to give them a 0-17 to 0-14 interval lead. Kilmoyley reduced the lead to one point with scores from Tom Murnane and Joseph McElligott. Man of the Match Kieran Dineen steadied the ship with his second point from play followed by scores from PJ Keane and Michael O’Leary to give Abbeydorney a much deserved place in the semi-final.

Champions Kilmoyley will be in action now in the third round in two weeks time where they are likely to play Lixnaw.

Abbeydorney: Brian O’Donovan, Stephen O’Connor, Aidan Healy(0-1), Niall O’Connell, Eoin Egan(0-1), Kieran Dineen(0-2), Darragh O’Brien, Brendan O’Leary (C), Daniel O’Leary, Mike Hannafin(0-1), Michael O’Leary(0-8,4f), James O’Connor(0-3), Cathal Dower, Brian O’Leary, PJ Keane(0-2)
Subs: David Egan (0-1) for Dower (38), Ronan O’Donovan (0-1) for Hannafin, Stevie O’Sullivan for D O’Leary, Nigel Roche for E Egan (ET), Daniel Mahoney for Donovan (ET)

Kilmoyley: Aidan McCabe(C), Seanie Murnane, Colman Savage, Sean Nolan, James Godley (0-2), Dougie Fitzell, Flor McCarthy, Tom Murnane (0-6, 3f, 1’65), Tommy Maunsell, Paudie O’Connor (0-2), Sean Maunsell (0-2), Daniel Collins (0-2,1f), Maurice O’Connor (0-1), Adrian Royle, Jordan Brick
Subs: Mícheál Regan for Collins (25), Luke Fitzell for T Maunsell (49), Joseph McElligott(0-1) for J Brick (ET), John Paul O’Mahony for F McCarthy
Ref: David Copps (Cork)

Round 2B
Lixnaw 4-8 Crotta O’Neill’s 1-8

Lixnaw booked their place in the third round of the Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship with a 9 point win over Crotta in Austin Stack Park Tralee on Sunday. In doing so they condemned Crotta to another season without a County Championship title. The game came to life in the middle of the first half with a flurry of scores. In the 14th minute John Griffin’s speculate shot from distance appeared to go untouched all the way to the net. This gave Lixnaw a 1-3 to 0-1 lead but Crotta replied two minutes later with a goal of their own when Jordan Conway’s shot for a point dropped under the cross bar and was finished to the net by Thomas Quinlan. From the puck out Ricky Heffernan raced clear to blast the ball to the net for the third goal in 5 minutes. Lixnaw led at the interval by 2-5 to 1-4. Conditions were poor with a wet ball and slippery underfoot conditions and certainly was not conducive to good hurling.
Lixnaw scored their third goal just after half time when Reggie Galvin pounced from close range. Crotta were on top for most of the second half but for once Shane Nolan found it difficult to find his range from frees in the swirling wind. Crotta managed to reduce the deficit to 3-6 to 1-7 with 10 minutes remaining but a brace of points from man of the match John Griffin and Michael Conway stretched the Lixnaw lead to 7. A Shane Conway goal 5 minutes from the end was the final blow for Crotta. Unfortunately for the men from Killflynn they exit the competition in the second round and their search for a county championship win stretches to 49 years. Lixnaw march on to the third round clash in two weeks time.

Lixnaw: Martin Stackpoole, Willie O'Connor, Declan McCarthy, Liam Mullins John Buckley, Gérard Stackpoole, Stephen Power (C), John Griffin (1-2), Brendan Brosnan, Shane Conway (1-0), Ricky Heffernan (1-1), Jeremy McKenna, Jason Wallace (0-2), Mike Conway (0-3,2f), Ray Galvin (1-0) Subs: Enda Galvin for M Conway (56), James Flaherty for McKenna (56), Colin Sheehy for R Galvin (56)
Crotta O’Neills: Brandon Conway, Adrian O’Mahony, Tom Cronin, David Behan, Darragh Ryan, Sean Weir, (C)Tom B McElligott, Jonathan Caffrey, Tomas O’Connor, Thomas Quinlan (1-0), Mike Lynch, Mick Munnelly, Jordan Conway (0-1), Cyril Lynch, Shane Nolan (0-7,6f) Subs: Jack Twomey for Caffrey (16), Darren Twomey for T Cronin (34), Ian McCarthy for Munnelly (43), Colin Browne for M Lynch (52). Ref: Diarmuid Kirwan (Cork)

Round 2A
St. Brendan’s 3 – 19 Causeway 1 - 16

St. Brendan’s booked a semi-final spot after a convincing 9 point win over a disappointing Causeway side at windswept Abbeydorney. In fact it was the work done by the Ardfert side in the first half, when they faced a very strong wind,that gave them the initiative and ultimately the foundation for a very workmanlike victory.

Brendan’s played very smartly against that wind, playing the possession game and not allowing Causeway make the best advantage of the elements. There were helped considerably by an early goal from Kevin Skinner who pulled on the sliothar in a goalmouth melee following a long delivery of a free from Darren Dineen. The key for Brendan’s was to keep that first half score down and they did this well and ended the half on level terms, 1 – 7 to 0 – 10, Causeway relying very much on the free taking of Paul McGrath.

Brendan’s did not take long to take control of the second half with early points from Cian Hussey, Tim Hannafin and Darren Wallace. Hussey had an excellent game, scoring 2 – 4 in total and it was his 2 superbly executed goals at either end of the half that firmly put daylight between the sides. Keith Carmody got a late consolation goal for Causeway while St. Brendan’s were reduced to 14 players following a straight red card in the 58th minute.

St. Brendan’s advanced at ease and will certainly be a handful for any opponents in the latter stages of the competition. Causeway promised much but again failed to deliver on the championship front and have a lot to do in preparation for round 3.
Naomh Breandáín:
Cian Hussey (2-4), John Egan (0-8), Kevin Skinner (1-1), Tim Hanafin (0-1),Darren Dineen (0-2f), Darren Wallace (0-2), Eric Leen (0-1).
An Tóchar: Paul McGrath (0-7), Keith Carmody (1-3), Jason Leahy (0-2), Tommy Casey (0-1), Alan Whyte (0-1), Mark Murphy (0-1), Adam Whyte (0-1).
Réiteoir: Damien Fox (An Clár)

Round 2B
Ballyduff 2 – 13 Ballyheigue 0 - 14
This was indeed the proverbial game of 2 halves. Written off by everyone after their dismal display in round 1, Ballyheigue restored lost pride in a major way in the round 2 game against Ballyduff, played at Kilmoyley. They brought in some changes at short notice – John Mike Pierce into goals, together with Brendan Dunne and Adrian Flahive – and it certainly had the desired effect.

The gale force wind blowing into the dressing room end had a major influence on the game. However it was Ballyduff who made the best start when after just 2 minutes Gary O’Brien had scored a goal, one that was crucial to the eventual outcome. The first half belonged to a fired up Ballyheigue with Philip Lucid outstanding from both play and frees and they hit 12 points from various angles and distances to lead at the half time break by 12 points to 1 – 3.

On the restart, Adrian Flahive stretched that lead within a minute before the expected Ballyduff fightback began. Central to that was a dominant Mikey Boyle and the influential Jack Goulding at midfield. Gradually they whittled down the deficit but yet it took them until 45 minutes to draw level.

It took a further 8 minutes for them to take the lead when following a harsh red card given to a Ballyheigue player, Eoin Ross put the resultant 70 metre free over the bar to put Ballyduff ahead, 1 – 11 to 0 – 13. Lucid levelled again with a 55th minute free. However this was his side’s last score while Ballyduff finished stronger. Points from Mikey Boyle and Anthony O’Carroll were rounded off with an excellently taken John Hussey goal.

Ag Deireadh bhí 5 cúilíní le spáráil ag Baile Dubh, 2 – 13 in aghaidh 0 – 14.

Baile Dubh:
Mikey Boyle (0-7), Jack Goulding (0-3), Gary O’Brien (1-0), John Hussey (1-1), Anthony O’Carroll (0-1), Liam Boyle (0-1).
Baile Uí Thaidhg: Philip Lucid (0-10), Adrian Flahive (0-2), Tomas Casey (0-1), Diarmuid Walsh (0-1).
Réiteoir: Colm McAllister (Corcaigh)

Garvey’s SuperValu Senior Hurling Championship Round 2 Fixtures


Sat July 9 @ 7pm – Extra Time
Causeway v St Brendans in Abbeydorney

Sun July 10 @ 2.45pm – Extra Time
Abbeydorney v Kilmoyley in Austin Stack Park


Sat July 9 @ 5pm – Extra Time
Ballyheigue v Ballyduff in Kilmoyley

Sun July 10 @ 1pm – Extra Time
Lixnaw v Crotta in Austin Stack Park

2016 Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship

Round 1 (replay)

Abbeydorney 3 - 13 Crotta O'Neill's 0 – 10

Abbeydorney had a comfortable 12 point victory over Crotta in the 2016 Garvey's SuperValu Kerry Co. Senior championship round 1 replay. Played at Austin Stack Park, in ideal conditions before a good sized crowd, Abbeydorney were set on their way with goals in either half by their wing forward James O’Connor.

A Shane Nolan pointed free in the first minute opened the scoring but thereafter the Abbeydorney defence tightened up significantly and conceded far fewer frees than in the drawn game and thus lessening the influence of sharp shooter Nolan. O’Connor got his first goal in the 4th minute when he availed of a mix up in the Crotta defence to force the sliothar over the line. The first half was low scoring with both defences well on top. Scores were level at 0 – 4 to 1 – 1 on 22 minutes with Michael O’Leary very influential for the winners. Cathal Dower and Nolan exchanged pointed frees to leave the sides locked together at the break, 0 – 5 to 1 – 2.

The first 10 minutes of the second half belonged to Abbeydorney. They shot 5 points without reply - from P.J. Keane (2), Michael & Brendan O’Leary and a Dower free to leave it 1 – 7 to 0 – 5 on 40 minutes. Nolan put over another free to garner Crotta’s first point in 16 minutes before O’Connor struck for his second goal, well taken from 25 metres out. It was now 2 – 7 to 0 – 6 after 44 minutes and there was no way back for Crotta at this stage. Crotta did score 3 points without reply but Abbeydorney again took over in the last 10 minutes, Keane added goal number 3 in the 59th minute and they were by then well on their way to a meeting with Kilmoyley in the winners round 2A while Crotta will face Lixnaw in a last chance to keep their championship hopes alive. Bhí Rory McGann (An Clár) mar réiteior sa chluiche.

Mainistir O dTórna:
James O’Connor (2-1), Colm Dower (0-3), Michael O’Leary (0-4), P.J. Keane (1-2), Brendan O’Leary (0-1), Ronan Donovan (0-1), Stevie O’Sullivan (0-1).

Na Niallaigh, Crotta:
Shane Nolan (0-8), Jordan Conway (0-1), Ian McCarthy (0-1).

2016 Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship
Round 1
Abbeydorney 2 - 16 Crotta O'Neill's 0 – 22 (after extra time)

In a tense, tough championship encounter, Abbeydorney and Crotta ended all square after extra time in round 1 of the 2016 Garvey's SuperValu Kerry Co. Senior championship.
Played at Ballyduff, where conditions were perfect and the match arrangements were excellent, the large attendance saw a full blooded encounter, even if the game was error strewn at times. Whatever was lacking in quality was more than made up for with honest endeavour.
In some ways it was a shoot-out between the free takers, Colm Dower (Abbeydorney) and Shane Nolan (Crotta), but the game had much more than that as both sides had different periods of dominance. It was only 2 minutes old when Michael O’Leary goaled for Abbeydorney. The next 15 minutes belonged to Crotta, who put over 7 points without reply. Then Abbeydorney hit 4 unanswered points to level matters on 27 minutes. Crotta went 2 ahead only to be hauled back to a 1 point lead as the game entered first half added time. Then up popped Brendan O’Leary for his side’s second goal in the 31st minute. Bhí Ó dTórna 2 cúilín chun tosaigh ag leath am, 2 – 5 in aghaidh 0 – 9.

Man of the Match, Shane Nolan, who hit 15 points in total, opened the second half scoring for Crotta with a point. Then Abbeydorney surged ahead again with 5 points without reply, 2 – 10 to 0 – 10 on 39 minutes. As fortunes swayed, Crotta, with Nolan hitting 4, added 7 points without reply, with influential substitute Ian McCarthy giving them the lead, 0 – 17 to 2 – 10 on 53 minutes. Then up stepped ex Ballygunner player, Colm Dower to put his side ahead with 2 frees and in the 66th minute a real pressure free was awarded to Crotta, about 75 metres out. Shane Nolan did the necessary to bring the tie to extra time, 2 – 12 to 0 – 18.

Extra time opened with Michael O’Leary giving Abbeydorney the lead with a point. This was followed by 3 for Crotta, from Nolan, McCarthy and Sean Weir to leave it 0- 21 to 2 – 13 at the break. On the resumption Nolan added another pointed free to put Crotta 3 ahead. However in a tense final period 3 pointed frees from Dower saved the day for Abbeydorney to level matters at 0 – 22 to 2 – 16 in fading light. Both teams deserved another day out. Bhí Simon Stokes (Corcaigh) mar réiteior sa chluiche.


Mainistir O dTórna: Colm Dower (0-9), Michael O’Leary (1-5), Brendan O’Leary (1-0), David Egan (0-1), Darragh O’Brien (0-1), .
Na Niallaigh, Crotta: Shane Nolan (0-15), Jordan Conway (0-3), Mike Lynch (0-1), Sean Weir (0-1), Ian McCarthy (0-2).

SHC Round 1 – Replay
The replay of the Crotta versus Abbeydorney game, with the agreement of both Clubs, is fixed for this Sunday evening next at Austin Stack Park, 7.00p.m. with extra time if necessary.

Kilmoyley 2-18 Ballyduff 0-18
Kilmoyley probably won the first of a double header in Abbeydorney a bit easier than the final scoreline would suggest and after leading by 8 points at the interval the champions never looked like surrendering that lead.

Ballyduff had the better of the early exchanges and led by 2 to 1 after four minutes of play but Kilmoyley were soon into their stride reeling off five points in as many minutes to lead by 6 points to 2 after eight minutes of play. With Jack Goulding and Mikey Boyle to the fore Ballyduff’s response was good and taking advantage of the strong wind the challengers had five points of their own to leave just a point between the sides by the 17th minute. Tom Murnane, from distance, sparked a response from Kilmoyley and Jordan Brick added another before John B. O’Halloran earned a 21 yards free for the champions in the 24th minute. Captain, Aidan McCabe, took the responsibility to drive the ball to the net and though Mikey Boyle replied with a point, Kilmoyley finished the half with two points from Maunsell and Brick before Daniel Collins, after a fine run, set up Adrian Royle for a goal on the stroke of half time and the champions led by 2-10 to 0-8 at the break.

Despite playing against the wind, Kilmoyley extended their lead to 10 points in the first 10 minutes of the new half with some fine scores from play from a variety of players and two quick points from Daniel Collins at the three quarter stage had them leading by 2-15 to 0-11. At this stage the champions were well in control but in the remaining time, Ballyduff did not throw in the towel and actually outscored their opponents by 7 points to 3 with Mikey Boyle getting four of those, one from play from over 90 yds.
So Kilmoyley advance to Round 2A and a meeting with the winners of the Crotta/Abbeydorney replay.

Scorers: Kilmoyley: Daniel Collins 0-6 (3 frees), Adrian Royle 1-1, Aidan McCabe 1-0 (free), Jordan Brick and Sean Maunsell 0-3 each, Tom Murnane 0-2, James Godley, Maurice and Paudie O’Connor 0-1 each.
Ballyduff: Mikey Boyle 0-10 (6 frees), Gary O’Brien 0-3, Jack Goulding and Paul O’Carroll 0-2 each, Anthony O’Carroll 0-1.

St Brendans 5-20 Ballyheigue 0-7
St Brendans had little difficulty in disposing of the challenge of their near neighbours Ballyheigue at a wet Abbeydorney on Sunday evening. The game was as good as done and dusted after only 10 minutes of play when the winners led by 2-4 to no score. Thereafter it was a matter of how much the winning margin would be.

Ballyheigue had first use of the wind but Cian Hussey pointed St Brendans into a lead soon after the start and Nicky O’Sullivan added a goal when Kevin O’Mahony fluffed his puckout from that score. Skinner and Egan added points and then, after O’Mahony redeemed himself by saving a penalty from John Egan, Nicky O’Sullivan was on hand to blast the rebound to the net. Philip Lucid opened Ballyheigue’s account in the 12th minute and after Cian Hussey replied for the winners Ronan Kenny had another but then Stephen Leen set up Kevin Skinner for Brendan’s third goal and the winners went on to lead by 3-9 to 0-4 at the break.

John Egan and Tim Hanafin added quick points on the resumption before Philip Lucid had a good point for Ballyheigue but the winners then took over adding five points on the trot before Kevin Skinner set up Nicky O’Sullivan for his side’s fourth goal at the three quarter stage. Tim Hanafin’s shot ended up in the net in the 48th minute for the fifth major and as both sides ran their bench, the game drew to an inevitable conclusion after a most disappointing contest.

So St Brendans advance to meet Causeway in Round 2 and Ballyheigue will play Ballyduff.

St Brendans: John Egan 0-10 (0-4 frees), Nicky O’Sullivan 3-0, Kevin Skinner 1-4, Tim Hanafin 1-1, Cian Hussey 0-2, Stephen Leen, Darren Dineen (Fr) and David Griffin 0-1 each.
Ballyheigue: Philip Lucid 0-3 (2 frees), Tomas Casey, Mark Dineen (65), Diarmuid Walsh and Ronan Kenny 0-1 each.

2016 Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship
Round 1

Causeway 2 - 8 Lixnaw 0 – 12

In another tough and exciting game, Causeway just about edged out Lixnaw by 2 points, 2 - 8 to 0 - 12 in round 1 of the 2016 Garvey's SuperValu Kerry Co. Senior championship.

Played at Kilmoyley before a large attendance, in drizzly and slippery underfoot conditions, both sides gave it everything in the quest for victory. In the end it was the ability of Causeway to score goals at crucial stages in each half and 2 late points in the final minutes that brought them through to a second round winners group meeting with St. Brendan’s.
Lixnaw, wind assisted, were the dominant side in the first half, putting over 7 points from various angles and distances. Yet Causeway kept in touch and their cause was much helped by a 15th minute goal from Alan Whyte. Lixnaw were ahead by 0 – 7 to 1 - 2 at the break
On the re-start Causeway added their second goal within a minute when Keith Carmody made a tremendous run through the heart of the Lixnaw defence before hitting an unstoppable shot to the corner. This left Causeway ahead by 2 – 2 to 0 – 7.

The sides were level again by the three quarter stage, 2 – 4 to 0 -10 amid growing excitement and some very lenient refereeing decisions which left the game flow rather than awarding possible frees. Heffernan put Lixnaw in to the lead with a point but 2 Causeway points again put them ahead 2 – 6 to 0 0 -11 on 56 minutes. A Mike Conway free level matters again as the game entered the final stages and extra time looked likely. However up stepped full forward Stephen Murphy to give Causeway a late lead and this was followed by a superb long range point by Man of the Match, centre back Brian Murphy to put them 2 ahead and seal a hard earned victory.
An Tóchar: Paul McGrath (0-2), Keith Carmody (1-3), Alan Whyte (1-1), Stephen Murphy (0-1), Brian Murphy (0-1).
Leac Sná: Mike Conway (0-6), Shane Conway (0-2), Ricky Heffernan (0-2), Colin Sheehy (0-1), Brendan Brosnan (0-1).
Réiteoir: Colm McAllister (Corcaigh)