fb twitter yt

Dingle Secure Senior Status with victory over Kilcummin 2017-05-07 20:38:00

Garvey's SuperValu Senior Football Championship Relegation Playoff Round 1 - Dingle Secure Senior Status

Dingle 2-16 Kilcummin 0-10

Dingle have cemented their Senior status for 2018 with a comfortable victory over Kilcummin in a sunny JP O’Sullivan Park, Killorglin on Sunday afternoon.

Far the better side from the start, Dingle took a three point lead in the opening minutes with pointed frees from the Geaneys Paul and Conor, followed up by a well taken Tomas Sheehy effort.  Kilcummin came back into the game, however, and were level on the quarter hour mark as three excellent points from Philip Casey and a Kevin McCarthy free were met by one by Conor Geaney to see the sides all square at 0-4 apiece with 15 minutes played.

Dingle took a strangle hold on the game in the second quarter beginning with an outstanding goal by Matthew Flaherty – the wing forward rattling the back stanchion with a bullet of a shot to the top corner.  Kevin McCarthy (free) and Chris O’Leary pointed for Kilcummin in the latter part of the half but Dingle were far more accurate, adding points from Tomás Sheehy, Barry O’Sullivan and frees from the Geaneys, Mikey and Paul,  to see the West Kerry side head for the dressing rooms with a five point lead at the break.  Half Time score:- Dingle 1-8, Kilcummin 0-6.

Dingle were far superior in the second half, pointing twice more in the early minutes with a brace from Conor Geaney (1 free)and Kilcummin’s woes were condensed further, as star forward Kevin McCarthy received an unnecessary black card for dissent towards referee Sean Joy.  Paul O’Riordan pointed for Kilcummin before Dingle got their second goal from the penalty spot.  It wasn’t without controversy though, as Paul Geaney’s initial kick was saved by his County teammate Brendan Kealy, only for the kick to be retaken as the defenders moved into the square too soon.  Geaney made no mistake with his 2nd chance to increase his side’s lead.  Another black card came for Kilcummin as Chris O’Leary was sent to the line – again for dissent – as the East Kerry side’s indiscipline was proving costly.  Mikey Geaney (45) & Tomás Sheehy added points for Dingle to see them take a 2-12 to 0-7 lead into the final quarter of the game.

Kilcummin points through Mikey O’Shea & Noel Duggan were cancelled out by Aidan O’Connor and Conor Geaney (free) and the West Kerry men were able to close out the game with relative comfort.  Points were traded between Barry O’Sullivan and Philip Casey, but Kilcummin finished the game with 13 men as Shane McSweeney and Philip Casey picked up second bookings in separate incidents.  A late Mikey Geaney 45 would prove to be the final score of the game. 

Full Time score:- Dingle 2-16, Kilcummin 0-10.

Dingle look forward to the County Senior Football Championship next weekend safe in the knowledge that their Senior status is safe, but Kilcummin face the relegation playoff for the second year in succession, and will face Kerins O’Rahillys in the final decider unless one or both of the sides qualify for the Senior Football Championship Final later in the year..

Dingle:- Gavin Curran, Tom Leo O’Sullivan, Conor O’Sullivan, Breandán Kelliher, Aiden O’Connor (0-1), Patrick O’Connor, Tom O’Sullivan, Barry O’Sullivan (0-2), Darragh O’Sullivan, Paul Devane, Mikey Geaney (0-3), Matthew Flaherty (1-0), Conor Geaney (0-5), Paul Geaney (1-2), Tomás Sheehy (0-3).  Subs: Michael Flannery, Eoin Murphy, Cathal Bambury, Jack O’Sullivan, Brian Devane.

Kilcummin:- Brendan Kealy, Sean Brosnan, Damien O'Leary, Donal Maher, Mikey O'Shea (0-1), Chris O'Leary (0-2), Daniel O'Leary, Daniel Moynihan, Kevin Gorman, Philip Casey (0-4), Shane McSweeney, Paul O'Riordan (0-1), Kevin McCarthy (0-2), Noel Duggan, Matthew Keane.  Subs: William Maher, Richie O’Connor, Jamie O’Donoghue.