History - Formation of Divisional Boards

Formation of Divisional Boards
 
A Minor Board was formed in 1904 to cater for weaker clubs, and this Board operated independently until 1920 when it was re-constituted as a sub-committee of the County Board, and in 1922 became the Junior Board.
 
At Convention 1924, the decision was made to organise the different parts of the county under local area boards. West Cork had been operating semi-independently on and off for the previous twenty years, and was now to be joined by regional  boards in North, East and South-East Cork. MH Murphy, County Vice-Chairman, was the driving force behind this movement.
The following were elected to run the various Boards:
 
North Cork (formed March 31st, 1924 in Mallow)
Chairman – G Green (Mallow)
Vice-Chairman – J Butler (Shanballymore)
Secretary – P Piggott (Doneraile)
Treasurer – R Kiely (Castletownroche)

Activity was confined to leagues for the first year.

East Cork (formed April 13th, 1924 in Cobh)
Chairman – B Purcell (Cobh)
Vice-Chairman – J Barry (Carrigtwohill)
Secretary – E Fleming (Midleton)
Treasurer – J Foley (Sarsfields)

Activity was confined to leagues until 1926, when a hurling championship was held and won by Cobh.

South-East Board (formed April 6th, 1924)
Chairman - H O’Mahony (Passage)
Vice-Chairman - J O’Sullivan (Castletreasure)
Secretary - J Robinson (Shamrocks)
Treasurer -  J Wren (Carrigaline)

West Cork Board 
Chairman  - J McCarthy (Kilmichael)
Vice-Chairman - T Keohane
Secretary - PJ Culhane (Skibbereen)
Treasurer - J Scannell

Junior Board
Chairman - J O’Callaghan (Charleville)
Secretary - J Parfrey (Geraldines)
Vice-Chairman - F Downes (Erin’s Own)
Treasurer - CT Hurley (Ballincollig)

Despite the formation of the divisional boards, the Junior Board operated as an all-county Board for this year for championship purposes. It was disbanded at Convention 1925 and two new boards were formed:

City Division (formed April 1st, 1925)
Chairman - F Down (Erin’s Own)
Vice-Chairman - S O’Brien (St. Anne’s)
Secretary - PH Parfrey (Geraldines)
Treasurer - JJ Sheehan

Muskerry Board (formed in Ballinora)
Chairman - W Fitzgerald (Kilumney)
Secretary - S Long (Ballinora)
Treasurer - DJ Walsh (Inniscarra)
Assistant Secretary- J Prior (Bride Valley)

Liaison between the County Board and the Divisional Boards was maintained by allowing each Divisional Board to be represented by one delegate at Board meetings.

Beara Division (formed April 4th, 1927 in Castletownbere)
Chairman - M O’Shea (Adrigole)
Vice-Chairman - P O’Neill (Castletownbere)
Secretary - Ml Crowley (Castletownbere)
Treasurer - R O’Sullivan (Castletownbere)

The Duhallow Board was formed as a subsidiary of the North Cork Board in 1932, mainly for the purposes of cutting down on travelling, and was formally established as an independent Board on January 18th, 1933.
Chairman - FJ Hayes (Freemount)
Vice-Chairman - J O’Connor (Kanturk)
Secretary - J Nevin (Newmarket)
Treasurer - JV Burton (Dromtariffe)
Registrar - W O’Donoghue (Dromtariffe) 

Back to top